Friday, April 8, 2011

Do It Yourself

For some brides, the idea of planning a wedding is so overwhelming that the last thing on her mind is a DIY project.  The crafty bride may see her wedding as a prime opportunity to display her artistic talents.  Now a days the emphasis on weddings and events is the personal touch.  (Side Note: I know a bride getting married this summer whose last name is Button, so she is adding little buttons to place cards and menus.  How cute is that?!)  And I couldn't agree more!  If you can add some personal, unique touch to a wedding it makes it all the more touching and memorable to your guests.  I love the idea of doing some things yourself and I consider myself somewhat crafty, but what aspect of the event should I take on?
A lot of brides and bridesmaids get together to make their own jewelry for the wedding, which I'm not a big fan of.  Every time I've ever attempted to make my own jewelry it looks childish and ugly.  Other brides make their own favors, and/or the packaging for the favors.  

This gorgeous Michigan bride started crafting aspects of her wedding with the help of family and friends when conventional elements didn't agree with their style.  Rather than traditional floral arrangements, this bride handcrafted paper flowers and painted branches gold, which added a touch of luxury.  The grooms family followed a family tradition by baking dozens of cookies in lieu of a traditional wedding cake.  When I saw that, my first thought was how much Todd LOVES cookies and would kill to have that at our wedding... but I don't think I can give up my funfetti dream that easily!


The original intention was to create the paper issue orbs that hang from the ceiling, however the bride saw they looked like flowers and with a few of her own tweaks she created beautiful and creative displays of her own.  A few trips to the craft store to pick out accessories, the paper flowers really complete the look


Favor bags

Pre cut fabric for guests to write messages to the Bride and Groom served as the guest book.  The couple had the intention of making a wedding quilt with the fabric squares, but the paint pens ran out of ink so not everyone had a chance to write a message.

The couple went to TJ Maxx and Homegoods to find these frames to display photos of their parents, grandparents and great grandparents.  I've seen many weddings where the Bride and Groom display wedding photos from their families.  It's a beautiful way to honor marriage and your family.


There are so many great ideas from this gorgeous wedding!  And, her dress is my FAVORITE part.  If you can believe it she got is for $600 during a sample sale... it is unbelievably gorgeous!


Right?!  I'm so obsessed!  (What a gorgeous couple, too!)




No comments:

Post a Comment